Tenure & Promotion Reading List
a2ru situates its research findings in the context of a body of literature that addresses Tenure and Promotion policy at its intersections with the arts, with interdisciplinarity, and with engaged scholarship.
Here, we share a sampling of that literature—insights, syntheses, and guidelines that inform our work, and that we hope will be part of ongoing conversations about this critical topic. All resources are linked in PDF format.
- Benchmark Best Practices: Tenure and Promotion. Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education (COACHE), 2014.
- Scholarship in Public: Knowledge Creation and Tenure Policy in the Engaged University. Julie Ellison and Timothy K. Eatman, 2008.
- Guidance for Rewarding and Recognizing Community-Engaged Scholarship in the Arts. Barbara O. Korner, Charles O’Connor, Christopher Marks, Kevin Hamilton, 2020.
- “Advancing Engaged Scholarship in Promotion and Tenure: A Roadmap and Call for Reform.” KerryAnn O’Meara, Timothy Eatman, and Saul Petersen, 2015.
- “To Thrive and Prosper: Hiring, Supporting, and Tenuring Interdisciplinary Scholars.” Stephanie L. Pfirman, James P. Collins, Susan Lowes, and Anthony F. Michaels, 2005.
- “Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Work: Framing Promotion and Tenure Practices and Policies.” Julie Thompson Klein and Holly J. Falk-Krzesinski, 2017.
National Organizations’ Guidelines
- Appointment, Tenure, Promotion, and Merit Review Considerations for Psychologists with Joint Faculty Appointments and Involvement in Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary Research and Scholarship: A Resource Document. American Psychological Association, 2013.
- Guidelines for Tenure and Promotion for Interdisciplinary Faculty. Association for Interdisciplinary Studies (AIS), 2016.
- Best Practices Memo: Promotion and Tenure of Interdisciplinary Faculty. Computing Research Association (CRA), 2008.
- Guidelines for Faculty Teaching in New-Media Arts. College Art Association (CAA), 2019.
- Interdisciplinary Hiring, Tenure, and Promotion: Guidance for Individuals and Institutions. Council of Environmental Deans and Directors.
- Local Assessment of Evaluation and Reward Systems for Arts Faculties in Higher Education. Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board, National Architectural Accrediting Board, National Association of Schools of Art and Design, National Association of Schools of Dance, National Association of Schools of Music, National Association of Schools of Theatre, 2009.
- The Work of Arts Faculties in Higher Education. Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board, National Architectural Accrediting Board, National Association of Schools of Art and Design, National Association of Schools of Dance, National Association of Schools of Music, National Association of Schools of Theatre, 2009