Associate Editor, Liberal Education (American Association of Colleges and Universities)
The American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) is a global membership organization dedicated to advancing the democratic purposes of higher education by promoting equity, innovation, and excellence in liberal education. Through our programs and events, publications and research, public advocacy and campus-based projects, AAC&U serves as a catalyst and facilitator for innovations that improve educational quality and equity and that support the success of all students. In addition to accredited public and private, two-year and four-year colleges and universities and state higher education systems and agencies throughout the United States, our membership includes degree-granting higher education institutions in more than twenty-five countries as well as other organizations and individuals
The Associate Editor is responsible for the development and preparation of print and online content for Liberal Education, the Association’s quarterly magazine, and for assisting the Editor-in-Chief with various editorial and administrative tasks. The position reports to the Editor-in-Chief.
- Serve as lead editor for print and digital content, as assigned by the Editor-in-Chief; copyedit and proofread manuscripts for publication.
- Solicit content from internal and external authors; work with authors to shape content, as appropriate; communicate changes to authors in a constructive manner.
- Assist with the review of manuscript submissions and article pitches and advise the Editor-in-Chief on final disposition.
- Proofread the online version of the print issue before it goes live on the magazine web pages.
- Participate in regular editorial meetings to brainstorm story ideas and issue themes and to help plan print and digital content for the magazine.
- Participate in meetings of the magazine’s editorial advisory board.
- Collaborate with the marketing team on efforts to promote the magazine.
- Track advertising deadlines, liaise with staff colleagues to secure ad art and finalize ad files for layout.
- Help maintain mailing lists by ensuring contributor information is added and up to date.
- Be informed and develop expertise on current issues and topics in higher education.
- Maintain the Association’s house Style Guide.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or related discipline.
- Minimum of three years significant editing experience for print and digital content, preferably for a magazine.
- Strong editorial judgment, outstanding written communications and interpersonal skills, and strong ethical and professional standards.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks with attention to detail, to work under pressure, and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of higher education; a passion for promoting quality and equity in undergraduate education is a plus.
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style.
Please submit a resume, cover letter describing relevant work and educational experience, and salary requirements to AAC&U, Box OCPA, 1818 R Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009, or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on June 20, 2022.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.