Artist in Residence, Michigan Medicine Gifts of Art
8 hours per week, schedule may vary.
The Gifts of Art program at Michigan Medicine invites applications for the position of Program Staff – Artist in Residence. Basic duties include bedside visits delivering art making supplies and activities appropriate for patients in hospital facilities and at the bedside, leading or facilitating patients in art making. Works with medical and clinical staff to identify those patients who would benefit from an art visit. The candidate must provide a portfolio of appropriate artwork and arts activities. Candidate must demonstrate knowledge of appropriate art experiences for specific patient types, and be familiar with issues of clinical deportment, palliative care, patient monitoring equipment, as well as the medical, emotional, diversity, equity, inclusion and ethical issues related to patient care. Other duties as assigned
- Minimum qualifications include work as a bedside artist at an acute care hospital or community facility, or comparable work with special populations.
- Demonstrated artistic proficiency and arts education experience required.
- Experience creating and teaching art with adults
- Solid computer skills required in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Photoshop.
- Cover letter, resume and portfolio required.
- Bachelor’s degree in arts or related field
- Certificate in arts and health or comparable experience
- Teaching or workshop experience with demonstrable skills in one or more arts forms
- An understanding of the creative process
- Ability to facilitate the creativity of others and ability to work collaboratively with other creative professionals
- Team working skills as well as self-motivation and time management
- Written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills, patience, empathy, a positive approach and respect for the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion of those we serve and work with.
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented
- Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand
- Experience working in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Experience working in a hospital environment
Day Shift: Schedule to be determined
8 hours per week