Assistant Professor in Expanding Approaches to American Arts, College of Fine Arts, University of Texas at Austin
Assistant Professor in Expanding Approaches to American Arts
The College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin (UT) seeks multiple, tenure-track colleagues (assistant professor rank) with a focus in interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary approaches to scholarship and/or research-based practice in visual, media-based, and/or performing arts of the United States. Rank and salary commensurate with experience. Position requires relocation to Austin, TX. We are specifically invested in deepening our engagement with underrepresented archives, methods, and repertoires within the United States, inclusive of perspectives from Rural communities, Young makers and audiences, Indigenous, Afrodiasporic, Mexican American and Latinx artistic practices. The committee welcomes transnational, hemispheric, circum-Atlantic, and global frameworks, and methodologies.
This interdisciplinary cohort hire is intended to impact the curricula, research profiles, and culture of more than one department/school in the College of Fine Arts. They will introduce innovations to the study of creative expression that intersect with complementary disciplines; for example, religious studies, youth studies, ethnography/anthropology, practice as research, new media/genre studies, technological arts and ethics, science and art, cultural/race/ethnic studies, disability studies, and transnational studies. We invite applications from academics and practitioners whose teaching, scholarship, and creative activity explore forms of creative practice not necessarily aligned with traditional institutions or methodologies.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS
The College of Fine Arts consists of the following departments/schools:
Music and Human Learning
Drama and Theatre for Youth and Communities
Live Design and Production
Performance as Public Practice
Playwriting and Directing
- Terminal degree in field
- Capacity to respond in pedagogically productive ways to the learning needs of students from varying backgrounds
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Evidence of or the potential for national or international research or practice in cross-disciplinary approaches to the arts
- Vision of what interdisciplinary arts practices can contribute to society
- Experience creating interdisciplinary curriculum
- Experience with digital technologies including AI
- Ability to create arts in the community
- Record of pedagogical innovation
To apply for the position, please submit the following by December 1, 2023 to Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/135384
- A letter of application explaining your qualifications for, and interest in, the position, including discussion of your most significant research/creative/professional, teaching, and service activities in cross-disciplinary arts research or practice and a vision for what innovative teaching or other professional activities you hope to offer the College of Fine Arts;
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or professional résumé (please include live links to publications, if applicable);
- A link to or pdf of a portfolio of recent work (if applicable);
- Contact information for three references (letters will be requested only for finalists).
Questions about the application process may be directed to Administrative Associate Marissa Kapinos at firstname.lastname@example.org; questions about the positions themselves may be directed to search committee chair Associate Dean Raquel Monroe at email@example.com.
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.