The Bolz Center for Arts Administration at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will host the 2016 Arts Business Research Symposium (ABRS) in Madison, Wisconsin, on April 28-29, 2016. The PAVE Program for Arts Entrepreneurship at Arizona State University will serve as co-conveners and hosts.
This year’s conference theme is “The Future of Creative Placemaking Initiatives in Higher Education,” and will include will include: keynotes, panel addresses, and workshops by both national and regional placemaking organizations, related projects, and conversations with university scholars and practitioners around the development of creative placemaking as a field of practice and scholarly research. Organizations that have received invitations to participate include:
- ArtPlace America, Brooklyn, NY
- Wormfarm Institute, Reedsburg, WI
- Creative Alliance Milwaukee, Greater Milwaukee Committee, and MKE ->LAX, Milwaukee, WI
- Intermedia Arts/Creative CityMaking Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN
- Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Strategic National Arts Alumni Project (SNAAP), Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), Washington, D.C.
Conversations at ABRS@Madison2016 will focus on the emerging practices of creative placemaking and include a discussion about the potential of academy involvement with scholarly research in the creative placemaking field. Are we building a new field? Or are we extracting a strand from other academic fields that already exist and should be expanded? How do research universities and higher education in general want to engage with creative placemaking?
Early Bird registration for ABRS@Madison2016 is available thru March 4th. Regular registration continues thereafter. Registration information is available on the Bolz Center for Arts Administration website and Facebook and Twitter. Until then we encourage you to save the dates of April 28-29, 2016 for ABRS@Madison2016!